Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 441933 times)

Miradus

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #11175 on: August 12, 2017, 10:06:16 AM »

Yeesh. My aggressive neighbor declares war on me. Mapsize his empire is smaller than mine and he has 3 less planets. I look at the diplomacy screen and it says his tech and fleet is "equivalent" to mine.

I'm max on naval command with a strength of 22.4k and he rolls in with a fleet of 53.9k ...

And roflstomps me. At the end of the battle I lost my whole fleet and he's down to 51.0k

The AI loaded every single ship of his with armored torps.

Pale Horse

« Reply #11176 on: August 12, 2017, 10:19:16 AM »
What difficulty level are you playing on?

On the higher difficulties, the AI is programed to always run over their fleet limit and they get bonuses to energy and mineral productions.

Yes, the computer cheats.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Miradus

« Reply #11177 on: August 12, 2017, 10:22:42 AM »

Normal. On a small galaxy.

I even used one of the ringworld mods that let me start with my home system as a 4 system ringworld. I'm pretty beefy, but they're just walking all over me.

I'm in a federation with this super aggressive asshole who keeps picking fights with everyone, even though he's on the far side of the galaxy from these two who are in a defense pact and who flank me. I'm leaving this stupid federation.

And I'm stacking up a bunch of PD frigs.

Miradus

« Reply #11178 on: August 12, 2017, 10:59:33 AM »

Nope. Lost this one.

He showed up this time with 134k against my 32k with war demands of ceding 3/4ths of my empire.

And he's rolling titans. :(

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #11179 on: August 12, 2017, 01:11:06 PM »
Did you put the new military stations everywhere? In my current game (on hard) I can build citadels with 50K fleet power. No joke. Military stations with a friggin' 50K fleet power. I'm reaching 400K fleet power total and can start to think about taking on the awakened FE, unfortunately my empire is fanatic pacifist and my militarist faction is always too small for me to ditch my pacifism. Sigh. Note: I only have about 10 colonized systems, that's enough to reach 400K fleet power late game IF you use all my mods. Edit after screenshot: I lied, I have 12 systems. 750 monthly research, 1K monthly unity. It took me about 300 hours of Stellaris experience to 'git gud' enough to reach this point, my first few games I always got rolled over and didn't know why.

I wish I knew why the forum insists on making images tiny! I can't even change the size of it...

'Equivalent' in terms of naval capability doesn't really mean much, unfortunately. There can be a fairly wide gap and the computer still tells you fleet power is 'equivalent' even when it's not. Besides, aggressive AIs will build fleets waaaaay over their naval capacity and not care what having a 590/300 dooomstack does to their economy.

If they research titans before you and aren't one of the unique empires that start with advanced tech like some of Silfae's races do, you need to up your research game. Some things to keep in mind:

-Having more pops slows your research down
-Having more colonies slows your research down (this is why I prefer to play with fewer but better colonies, and don't colonize planets of less than 20 size unless they have amazing modifiers)
-Try to go for planets with +research modifiers on them, and fill them with research stations (you need Guilli's mod for these modifiers)
-If you see a system with lots of research bonuses, don't let the AI claim it before you. Put an outpost there. Early game the research bonuses from space stations are incredibly powerful and you want them all.
-Some event chains result in you finding a damaged science nexus. Repair it. With my mods, megastructures are now awesome.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 01:52:19 PM by Akaramu »

Miradus

« Reply #11180 on: August 12, 2017, 01:52:15 PM »

Highest I got in that game was the battle fortress and I didn't have the mineral output to build it. My bulwarks were reaching 3.8k only. :(

I wasn't taking very good advantage of my research agreements to catch up on some tech. I tend to just look at the choices and pick whatever is the coolest as opposed to what will benefit me the most.

I've been spamming out colonies and pops. I had no idea that impacted my research. But what do you do without those pops? How are you keeping things running at that point?

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #11181 on: August 12, 2017, 02:06:23 PM »
If your bulwarks are 3.8k, it does sound like you need to up your research game and equip your ships / stations better. My bulwarks are usually 8-10K or so.

Some advice: early game, have about 4 science ships surveying constantly. Put outposts in places where they can reach systems with good research boni for research stations. My mods allow for better outpost beacons with more range to be researched, so make sure to update your outposts in the ship planner (F10) and update them ingame, too. You can click outposts (and military stations) to upgrade them (small upgrade arrow, like for ships) when you can build new versions with better tech.

Don't colonize too many planets, rely on outposts to rake in all the research you can from space stations. Pick only the very best planets you can find to colonize. For the first 50 or so years I tend to only have about 3-4 colonies. Make use of terraforming if you have to, sometimes you'll spawn in areas where every colonizable planet is small and shitty and all the good ones aren't habitable for you. So you have to terraform them. Pay attention to planet modifiers, if you find one with a 50% (or even 100%) bonus to mineral output you'll want it even if it is small and shitty, then put mines everywhere on it. Getting lots of mineral income with fewer colonies is very possible.

You generally want the 'exploration' and 'discovery' traditions completed before anything else. Discovery to the option where you can get more anomaly discovery % (anomalies are good for you, so you want more of them) then exploration to reduce outpost upkeep ASAP. More outposts = more mining and research stations early game. If you want to get really amazing planets, go for the world shaper (or adaptability) and then bibliophilia perks. Bibliophilia is flippin' awesome. Over 10 years it increases planet tile bonuses so much it's not even funny. It's not rare to get +6 tile bonuses with it!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:16:23 PM by Akaramu »

Miradus

« Reply #11182 on: August 12, 2017, 02:09:27 PM »
Okay! I'll try that then. :)

For weaponry and travel type, what do you normally start with?

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #11183 on: August 12, 2017, 02:15:36 PM »
I switch my starting weapons and travel method with every new game, I don't think it matters except for the first 10 years or so. If you take wormhole travel you'll have to build lots of wormhole stations obviously. Fortunately they don't have to be built inside your borders...  ;D

As an aside, point defense frigates aren't that good except early game and against missile heavy opponents. If your opponent doesn't use missiles then point defense is useless and only hurts your DPS. I tend to rely on the biggest ships I can build at any given time, because bigger ships don't die in 2 hits and do more damage. But maybe that's just me.

Once you get battleships you can research expanded spinal mounts for them. SPINAL MOUNTS ARE AWESOME. You can put the X type weapons in those, which have long range and completely ignore shields and armor.

Miradus

« Reply #11184 on: August 12, 2017, 02:21:46 PM »

Used to be corvettes were the king of the battlefield with their high evasion. With the new ship type mods that's no longer the case? I should be going for bulk?

I notice the enhanced AI goes for bulk pretty heavy.

Rokal

« Reply #11185 on: August 12, 2017, 02:29:23 PM »
Finished persona 5.

True ending.

Haven't been so hyped/inspired by a video games ending in a long time.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #11186 on: August 12, 2017, 02:32:54 PM »

Used to be corvettes were the king of the battlefield with their high evasion. With the new ship type mods that's no longer the case? I should be going for bulk?

I notice the enhanced AI goes for bulk pretty heavy.

Their evasion only becomes good late game. The 40% evasion they have early and mid game isn't that good at all, and frigate / corvette damage output is beyond hopeless at that point. Use them at the very beginning when you have nothing else, then ditch them until reeeeal late game when they have 90% evasion and devastator torpedoes.

Finished persona 5.

True ending.

Haven't been so hyped/inspired by a video games ending in a long time.

Loved it too! I wish there was some kind of Persona 5 DLC. Anyway, we should talk more Persona and less Stellaris. Sorry everyone else in this thread  :-X
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:35:17 PM by Akaramu »

Is Friday

« Reply #11187 on: August 13, 2017, 02:44:23 AM »

Played an hour of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Died. It's flipping awesome. $30. Supposedly, it's less than 10 hours long. Worth it imo.
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

Akariel

• Storyteller
« Reply #11188 on: August 13, 2017, 03:27:46 AM »
Bought that game on Steam a couple of days ago. Played 30 minutes and the game crashed 3 times. Now, I assume it's issues with my laptop and not the game's fault - but I did have to return it.

Is Friday

« Reply #11189 on: August 13, 2017, 03:29:16 AM »
Bought that game on Steam a couple of days ago. Played 30 minutes and the game crashed 3 times. Now, I assume it's issues with my laptop and not the game's fault - but I did have to return it.
Funny you say that. It crashed for me, too. I assume it'll be patched sometime soon.
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #11190 on: August 13, 2017, 08:01:22 AM »
That looks awesome. It's hard to believe it's a game.  8)

lordcooper

« Reply #11191 on: August 13, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »
I wish I knew why the forum insists on making images tiny! I can't even change the size of it...

It's not the forum, it's the shitty image host you're using.  They give you a link to a thumbnail as the image and link that thumbnail to the actual full size image, to try and drive traffic to their site.

https://imgur.com/

Use that one instead :)
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

lordcooper

« Reply #11192 on: August 13, 2017, 10:01:23 AM »
Senua is a great experience but kind of a shitty game.  If you go into it expecting a really good walking simulator with fantastic atmosphere and some really basic combat + puzzles added then you won't be disappointed.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #11193 on: August 13, 2017, 12:00:27 PM »
Senua is a great experience but kind of a shitty game.  If you go into it expecting a really good walking simulator with fantastic atmosphere and some really basic combat + puzzles added then you won't be disappointed.

Sounds like the perfect game to watch a Let's Play for.

Malken

« Reply #11194 on: August 13, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
"walking simulator" always cracks me up.
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Veselka

« Reply #11195 on: August 13, 2017, 01:09:37 PM »

Sounds like the perfect game to watch a Let's Play for.

I couldn't get through the first ten minutes. The incessant babbling of the voices in her head drove me nuts and gave me a headache. I guess the psychosis counsellors for this game did their research.

Miradus

« Reply #11196 on: August 13, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »

I can't handle games from a first person viewpoint or anything that graphical. They give me immense migraines in just a few minutes. Even watching a let's play of them will get me. Especially if there is running and bouncing.