Cart NPC?

Started by jmordetsky, January 11, 2010, 11:03:51 AM

A war beetle is here.
A large cart drawn by three war beetles is here.

Couldn't we use the the Unit-ish code (it's not really code, it's more of a tactic) to create wagon drawn mounts? In this case the cart NPC has a much higher strength, lower agility and the same endurance as a war beetle. This would:

Higher Str - Allows you to pack more on it (It has a cart)
Same (or slightly higher/lower) End - Makes the cart unable to traverse the known in one go
Lower Agility - Makes it move slower

From here, you could emote and RP as you pack things showing that it's not just a normal mount (even though it is):

> em throws some stuff into the back of ~cart.

> pack bag cart

You pack your bag on a cart on large cart drawn by three war beetles.

Costs would be beetle price * 3 + cost of cart (2500 ish?)

If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Make it a packable table object that negates or greatly reduces the weight of anything placed on it. (this would only work for one mount though)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 11, 2010, 12:30:19 PM
Make it a packable table object that negates or greatly reduces the weight of anything placed on it. (this would only work for one mount though)

Would require code. Thinking quick and dirty, no code way to intro carts.

www.j03m.com

Not a bad idea, but I really doubt much more is going to be done with Arm 1.

What we've got is what we've got.
Lunch makes me happy.

Maybe make the cart drain the mount's stamina more instead of having its own.

I've got hitchable carts as objects very close to completion, major remaining work is kinks in the hitching code and making sure that it all works.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 11, 2010, 03:07:25 PM
I've got hitchable carts as objects very close to completion, major remaining work is kinks in the hitching code and making sure that it all works.

Neato!  These going into 2.Arm, I'm supposing?

Hasn't this been the status of the new (now old) wagon code in Arm1 for the past 5+ years or so?

Not meant to be snarky, just I thought this is where that code was since they were tested, found buggy and then taken out of Arm 1, some time ago?  So I'm confused if Morgenes is referring to Arm 1 or Arm 2.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on January 11, 2010, 03:45:17 PM
Hasn't this been the status of the new (now old) wagon code in Arm1 for the past 5+ years or so?

Not meant to be snarky, just I thought this is where that code was since they were tested, found buggy and then taken out of Arm 1, some time ago?  So I'm confused if Morgenes is referring to Arm 1 or Arm 2.

I'm talking about Arm 1.  I took over the project last year and have code in my sandbox that is waiting for me to get back to it that redoes wagon saving to be database based (hopefully removing the duplication issues we've been plagued with) and re-allowing hitching and more completely implementing it.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 11, 2010, 04:08:21 PM
Quote from: Twilight on January 11, 2010, 03:45:17 PM

I'm talking about Arm 1.  I took over the project last year and have code in my sandbox that is waiting for me to get back to it that redoes wagon saving to be database based (hopefully removing the duplication issues we've been plagued with) and re-allowing hitching and more completely implementing it.

Badass.

www.j03m.com

Holy cow.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Badass, holy cow, hmm... gadzooks?!

Will people be able to ride in these carts, like a rickshaw sort of thing, or will they strictly be item containers?

What are those things called?  They take two people to carry.. they're just like a couch with carrying poles for people to ride around in..  Some have coverings and curtains.

hitch amos
hitch malik

Palanquin.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Yeah, I think the original project was started by Az back in the day, and it was cool save for the being able to destroy wagons while practicing pilot.

Hilarity ensued when people tried to mount the mekillot NPCs that could be "hitched" to the wagon objects.

Glad to see work is being put into this again.

January 13, 2010, 04:18:09 PM #16 Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:06:35 PM by Sephiroto
Can you make them ridable table objects too, like skimmers, but on the condition that someone still has to hitch and lead the cart along?  When not carrying my goods around the world, I want to offer rides to my budz!

Quote from: Sephiroto on January 13, 2010, 04:18:09 PM
Can you make them ridable table objects too, like skimmers, but on the condition that someone still has to hitch and lead the cart along?  When not carrying my goods around the world, I want to offer rides to my budz!

that is almost exactly how they will be.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

January 13, 2010, 09:12:59 PM #18 Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:27:11 PM by MarshallDFX
Quote from: Morgenes on January 13, 2010, 08:13:13 PM
Quote from: Sephiroto on January 13, 2010, 04:18:09 PM

that is almost exactly how they will be.

I must know.  Will there be a palanquins/rickshaws?  Something PCs can hitch to themselves?
If so, this WILL be my next PC.

Somebody app an extremely obese noble/templar so my PC can struggle to pull you around, please!