Give a Vivaduan a hug today?

Started by Salt Merchant, August 14, 2009, 01:28:56 PM

August 14, 2009, 01:28:56 PM Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:30:46 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Krath
Then what is the problem?  Why is it that if there is an RPT mundanes have to sit at the
sidelines while the x-men magickers of death kill everything at a distance, or before a
mundane can do anything. Why not just make all rpts Magicker only with NPC soldiers?
That is the direction I think the game is going right now. But if nothing is going to be done, then
why bother?

This was from two years ago, just after the "X-men" days of gemmed magickers.

My sense is that things have swung too far in the other direction now, that the gemmed and militia no longer go out together except when extreme baddies are about.

I believe it would make sense to make it common practise to take a Vivaduan along. The soldiers wouldn't feel overshadowed, the water mage would still be useful and see some action.. everyone wins.

Yes? No?
Lunch makes me happy.

I suspect that Templars can do at least some of the same useful things that Vivaduans can do, which might make having one along for the ride a bit redundant.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

The way the politics and cultural rules of the game are organized makes this sort of thing hard to do without guilt. Because of the (to me) irrational amount of fear and hatred displayed in the city of Allanak towards Gemmed, it is often seen as ICly-imprudent to bring mages. Staff seems fairly happy with the way things are organized currently, and while I do not agree with the amount of the division between mundane and cursed in Allanak, I resign myself to the reality of the world Staff has depicted.

Templars, I think, should be interested and compelled to include mages in most aspects of their work, I believe, but the problem that arises to me is that Templars and Militia are not the only groups to do things. I have personally attempted to change a certain aspect of the game before, numerous times, and have met with a gentle response from Staff that ultimately coalesced as the word, "no". I think that if the amount of distrust and hatred between mundane and cursed were narrowed, and a few more avenues opened for the integration of Gemmed into various areas within the Empire of Allanak, we would see more long lived characters, and even more of a difference between Allanak and Tuluk.

Aside from such a political and cultural change, though, I can't see any particular routes to more involvement. As it stands, most people will try to do things without mages, as the docs claim that they would, and so it falls constantly to the Templars and Oash, as leaders who are socially appropriate, to involve mages in regular activities.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The gemmed and the militia went out together a lot because there was a templar and a pair of militia officers who wanted it to happen and had the power and authority and skill to make it happen. It sounds easy to do, however, there is a lot of both IC and OOC bad feeling and shit-talking that comes along with doing it. That is, it was an anomaly, all-around, and I wouldn't necessarily expect to see it happen again.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Gimf is correct, and frankly, that is the problem. How to defeat that? No clue other than simply changing cultural and political (mostly cultural) attitudes. Until that time, you may as well get used to it.

I always thought that the slang/word on the street went more to the effect of: magickers are Templars' pets.
Meaning, Templars would have no problems dragging one along, if they felt like flexing their badassery.

They have the authority to, certainly, but that doesn't mean that social and political backlash can't occur.

And, it really wears on the players of the templars and officers on an OOC level to have to take that shit, simply because they are trying to involve various factions within the playerbase. It is actually a big part of why I quit my role; I was totally fatigued after months and months and months of hearing the crap, both ICly and OOCly--in the game, on the general GDB, on the clan forum. So I'm not surprised more players don't try to do it.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

As the player of a militia character whose templar used gemmers frequently, I ... uh ... it never crossed my mind to give anyone shit about it.  I thought templars using gemmed was kinda the whole point of the gem and gemmers being allowed in the city.

I guess that was a blessing of being a noob.  My char feared magic, but then, in RL, I'd fear working next to nukes but I'd fully understand why the powers that be had them on hand.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on August 14, 2009, 04:12:55 PM
As the player of a militia character whose templar used gemmers frequently, I ... uh ... it never crossed my mind to give anyone shit about it.  I thought templars using gemmed was kinda the whole point of the gem and gemmers being allowed in the city.

I guess that was a blessing of being a noob.  My char feared magic, but then, in RL, I'd fear working next to nukes but I'd fully understand why the powers that be had them on hand.

Having been on both sides of the line, as a magicker in the employ of a Templar and a regular sword swinger fallowing along with said creatures, I kinda have to agree with this part.  Whatever my characterss personal distaste, they sure weren't going to show it, if said Templar wanted to have someone/thing alone, that someone/thing went.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.