Author Topic: Idle complaints about today  (Read 1708490 times)

RogueGunslinger

Re: Idle complaints about today
« Reply #29075 on: February 12, 2020, 10:25:33 AM »
Depending on where you live there's likely a place that feeds people nearby. Soup Kitchens, Food Pantries, Shelters.

Raptor_Dan

« Reply #29076 on: February 14, 2020, 03:19:34 AM »
I appreciate that, both of you. I'm certain I'll be fine. While there's no plasma places nearby, there are food pantries that are within walking distance (relatively). Got a big box of canned goods and sweet sweet rice, so we will survive until a job calls back.

To keep on topic though, damn does G.R.R. Martin love describing food every other chapter. Pickled hens and roast rabbit, weasel stew (my favorite) and Hotpie's hotpie.

For real though, fuck walking. Walking sucks so hard.
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Hauwke

« Reply #29077 on: February 14, 2020, 05:38:47 AM »
While I was a teen, I could walk wherever the hell I pleased. No worries, got a little sweaty who cares.

Hit 21 and I actually got some body fat to me instead of being a twig, Actually am a pretty average weight and height now, yay.

Of course, I now also get chafing after a few Kms.

DesertT

« Reply #29078 on: February 14, 2020, 10:45:36 AM »
That Damn 5 Messages Per Hour Limit!!

*RAWR*

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Narf

« Reply #29079 on: February 20, 2020, 01:11:17 PM »
The tech guy at work needed a monitor to test the subunit synthesizer he's developing and decided to snag it from the accounting office I work in while everyone was away. Two of the three people in accounting have two monitors, but I have only one. Guess who he decided to take it from?

WarriorPoet

« Reply #29080 on: February 21, 2020, 01:54:19 PM »
Haven't had a 2 day weekend off in 5 months. They posted the schedule and it said crew is OFF. Woo, right? Not so fast. 2 hours later,  just long enough ror everyone to get the taste in their mouths, everyone is working. Why even pull that chickenshit?

I can't wait to quit this job.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Wday

« Reply #29081 on: February 26, 2020, 10:03:13 AM »
So my Dad dies in Nov and suddenly hit me now in Feb that his ashes hasn't been sent to me.  So I call and learn that they have lost my Daddy! 
Well that almost worked.

James de Monet

« Reply #29082 on: February 26, 2020, 01:17:00 PM »
So my Dad dies in Nov and suddenly hit me now in Feb that his ashes hasn't been sent to me.  So I call and learn that they have lost my Daddy!

:o  Nevermind.  My complaint suddenly seems even more trivial than it already was.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

James de Monet

« Reply #29083 on: February 27, 2020, 05:35:11 PM »
It’s February.  It’s 80 degrees here.  I just drove by Santa Clara U, and all the students are wearing shorts and flip flops.  One dude was using his laptop on the curb, shirtless.  WTF
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #29084 on: February 27, 2020, 08:22:46 PM »
It’s February.  It’s 80 degrees here.  I just drove by Santa Clara U, and all the students are wearing shorts and flip flops.  One dude was using his laptop on the curb, shirtless.  WTF

janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

James de Monet

« Reply #29085 on: February 28, 2020, 11:33:18 PM »
I expect global warming to manifest in 1-3 degree average upward shifts, storm events, wildfires, floods, animal migration, polar melt, political blame mongering, stock market fluctuations, and global economic collapse.

But apparently a warm Wednesday caught me by surprise.

(Okay, it was 25 degrees warmer than it ‘should’ have been, but...)

Hauwke

« Reply #29086 on: February 28, 2020, 11:45:14 PM »
I expect global warming to manifest in 1-3 degree average upward shifts, storm events, wildfires, floods, animal migration, polar melt, political blame mongering, stock market fluctuations, and global economic collapse.

But apparently a warm Wednesday caught me by surprise.

(Okay, it was 25 degrees warmer than it ‘should’ have been, but...)

We had a 129 day the other week. It's getting crazy.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #29087 on: February 29, 2020, 06:16:05 PM »
Do you live in Death Valley?

Hauwke

« Reply #29088 on: February 29, 2020, 10:50:11 PM »
Do you live in Death Valley?

I do not, rural Victoria Australia. It's the hottest I have ever experienced by a decently margin.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #29089 on: March 01, 2020, 08:33:29 AM »
Ahh, Australia. The Death Valley of countries.

Barsook

« Reply #29090 on: March 01, 2020, 09:02:02 AM »
Tired to listen to my music library where I haven't listened to maybe close to five years, and only was able to listen to a small chunk of the 15 hours of what I have. I think I almost have moved away from listening to my music to streaming where I don't have control of what gets played which I do like.

Barsook

« Reply #29091 on: March 13, 2020, 07:37:01 PM »

John

« Reply #29092 on: March 14, 2020, 02:56:25 AM »
Ahh, Australia. The Death Valley of countries.
Come for the koalas. Stay because you died to a poisonous <insert creature of choice here>

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #29093 on: March 24, 2020, 07:37:30 PM »
Before COVID-19 became wide-spread, I had made the decision to be more kind and go out of my way to send a care package to a friend of mine, whose been deployed to a location he can't tell his family and friends the location of. He hates it and his morale was really suffering, so I wanted to send a care package consisting of food stuffs and a card signed by all his friends. I had arranged to drop off a large signing card at the local shop that we used to play D&D at, before he re-deployed, and get the shopkeeper and all the players there to sign it, over the course of a month, then to ship it - Along with a box of goodies - to him.

Now, due to the virus, his location isn't allowed to receive any packages and no one is meeting up at the game shop anymore (for understandable reasons), which basically just blows this whole plan to shit. It annoys me, because it was something I felt good about doing and I knew my friend would truly appreciate the amount of thought and effort that went into it.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

DesertT

« Reply #29094 on: March 24, 2020, 08:01:20 PM »
Before COVID-19 became wide-spread, I had made the decision to be more kind and go out of my way to send a care package to a friend of mine, whose been deployed to a location he can't tell his family and friends the location of. He hates it and his morale was really suffering, so I wanted to send a care package consisting of food stuffs and a card signed by all his friends. I had arranged to drop off a large signing card at the local shop that we used to play D&D at, before he re-deployed, and get the shopkeeper and all the players there to sign it, over the course of a month, then to ship it - Along with a box of goodies - to him.

Now, due to the virus, his location isn't allowed to receive any packages and no one is meeting up at the game shop anymore (for understandable reasons), which basically just blows this whole plan to shit. It annoys me, because it was something I felt good about doing and I knew my friend would truly appreciate the amount of thought and effort that went into it.
As someone who has deployed, I can tell you that your friend will appreciate the thought and effort you took.  It'll likely be pretty funny to them as well because this is EXACTLY the type of thing that would happen.  :D

My idle complaint is that....  Hmmm....  Okay, so my supervisor -really- isn't a fan of this whole work from home thing we're doing right now.  And on top of that, he's not a fan of people taking authorized leave.  Yup.  He had me use my secondary caregiver leave (21 days) over Christmas and New Years when I was already going to get more than half of those days off, instead of allowing me to use it when we brought home our newborn adopted son back in September.

First World Problems!!

DesertT

« Reply #29095 on: April 03, 2020, 06:54:39 PM »
So my wife has been sewing cloth masks for a nurse who posted on a site asking for them.  It's blown up and she's been having nurses stop by every morning now.  Fortunately, someone donated material.

Well, now we're out of material.  So my wife started listing them on Facebook for $10 per mask, stating that all funds are going towards material so she can continue gifting masks to health workers.  Health workers get them for free.

The amount of people that troll her thread stating either that she's profiteering off of this, or that her masks are useless (one even claimed you need seven layers), has just been sickening.

Yes, my wife makes cloth masks and is trying to profiteer off them at $10 per.....  Riiiiiiight...

By the way, the CDC just came out RECOMMENDING all Americans wear these cloth masks and save the other "good" ones for medical staff.

Oh, and as to why my wife is donating the masks, the medical personnel have been wearing these cloth ones over their good ones to help extend the service life of their N95 ones.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #29096 on: April 03, 2020, 07:08:20 PM »
People are shitbirds.

Props to your wife for trying to help.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Barsook

« Reply #29097 on: April 03, 2020, 11:17:00 PM »
I didn't realize how to turn on logging on Mudlet, finally did. *facepalms* And I don't remember how the setting got shut off.

DesertT

« Reply #29098 on: April 10, 2020, 01:18:29 AM »
UGH!!

So I was all excited yesterday, I got to ride the motorcycle up to a smaller town just over an hour away for work (only had one for less than a year).

I had to inspect someone's Mobilization Binder (military crap).

Nice ride.  Weather was decent.  A bit windy, but I have a windshield.  <---pansy

Get up there, meet with the guy I'm supposed to and for WHATEVER reason, he brought another Soldier with him instead of leaving him back at the armory.  The guy I'm supposed to meet with is from Norfolk.  The Soldier he brought with him is from Omaha which I didn't know/realize at the time (Omaha is our hardest hit city in the State so far).

Being the Senior Ranking Individual, I offered to buy them lunch and we got Chinese.

Left after getting the work done, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm in the office today, get a call about 3 o'clock.

The Soldier that he brought with him... his girlfriend's sister tested positive for COVID-19.  YAY!!  The girlfriend and her sister(hospital worker) live together.  The Soldier has had positive contact with them, obviously, pretty much on a daily basis.

I know, I know, chances are slim, but I have 9 kids and two of them are under a year old (we adopted my wife's nephew at birth in September after having our 8th in May), plus, my wife is making cloth masks for medical personnel from our house (for free).  Welp, nobody wants to pick up masks from a house that may be contaminated.

So yeah, I'm self-quarantined in my oldest son's house (which is technically mine, but whatever), creeping it out as a 44 year old man in his basement.

Wife had to bring me over a mattress, hygiene gear, clothes, some books, and Gloomhaven.

Protocol is to take my temperature twice a day (thankfully not anal) and wear a mask when I go to work.  I don't -have- to quarantine, but...

So yeah, I might be in-game a -little- more than normal over the next fourteen days and also not have to take constant breaks to deal with child aggro.

Wait, is this the "things that made you happy today" thread?

*mirth*

*le sigh*

Hauwke

« Reply #29099 on: April 10, 2020, 06:02:32 PM »
People really are absolutely stupid.