Author Topic: Idle complaints about today  (Read 1097882 times)

yoink

Re: Idle complaints about today
« Reply #28600 on: June 06, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »
I mistakenly thought hitting 'X' whilst reviewing a character would save the unfinished app.
One computer restart later... I come back to start working on the last part, the background, and realise my mistake. Oh jeez. I should have known to at the very least save everything as a text file somewhere. *facepalm* I sweated over a hot keyboard for hours cooking up that description! Well... at least half of one. Probably.

Well, lesson learned. I can remember most of the good bits, anyway, and the rest probably could have done with a re-write in any case.   

Karieith

« Reply #28601 on: June 06, 2018, 10:06:37 AM »
I went to bed at a decent hour for once and still woke up tired.  :(

Malken

« Reply #28602 on: June 08, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »
Nooo, Anthony Bourdain, whyyy  :'( I watched like all of his shows right before my trip to Europe to know where to go to eat, even the sausage shack in the middle of nowhere in Berlin.
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28603 on: June 13, 2018, 03:47:09 PM »
Facing $1800+ repair bill on 13 year old car.  That's about the point where I start thinking about a new one.  Makes me sad because I love my car.   :'(

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #28604 on: June 13, 2018, 04:34:52 PM »
$1800  ... or $20,000?

Unless it's getting to the "going to break down every month" point, it's usually worth fixing up a reliable car you already have as opposed to plunking down roughly 10x that amount on a new car.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28605 on: June 13, 2018, 05:00:44 PM »
Hard to say.  While this is the first major repair I've had to face, the ride definitely doesn't feel like it used to and there very well may be other things wrong that no one has been able to diagnose yet.  It's at 115,000 miles, but it's a Toyota engine so it certainly could last to 200,000 if I keep up with maintenance.

Doesn't help with my satisfaction that I've been traveling a lot lately and renting cars and got a taste of what driving a newer car is like, heh.

This is difficult value calculus.  Fortunately, the car isn't disabled and I have another work trip next week so I have time to think about it.

I guess the most solid idle complaint is that I walked into the shop expecting maybe a $500-600 fix.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #28606 on: June 14, 2018, 01:50:55 AM »
Hard drive died, today. Unable to retrieve any information from it, according to the tech who ran an analysis on it.

I lost an almost unfathomable amount of pictures and documents that were precious, to me.

Bought a SSD, for the first time. This is the 2nd time that a HDD has gone to an unexpected grave, in as many years.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28607 on: June 14, 2018, 02:36:49 AM »
That sucks.  I've been there too.

Magnetic drives are pretty much guaranteed to fail eventually.  SSD's are less likely to fail, but they still can.  Irreplaceable data should never be stored in one place.  At the very least you should have mirrored local storage (RAID-1 drive configuration or local USB drive backup).  Better would be some cloud storage that automatically synchronizes documents/pictures.  Google offers you a LOT of free storage these days.

On a related note, if you rely on Google a lot for important/sensitive data like finances, make sure you set up two-factor authentication.  This means that when Google sees you logging in from an unfamiliar place or device, it'll send a text message to your cell phone and won't let you in until enter a number from the text.  THIS IS THE MOST RELIABLE WAY TO SECURE AN ONLINE ACCOUNT.  I suggest you do the same thing with online banking accounts, if available.  Also, if you do this, make sure you generate some one-time access codes and print them out.  This will let you access your Google account from a new device in the event you lose your cell phone.  I keep one copy of the codes at home and another laminated copy in my wallet.  You should also familiarize yourself with Google's "Where's My Phone" feature, which you can access with the one-time codes..... oh man I've gone off on quite the tangent here.

Sorry for your data loss.

Bogre

« Reply #28608 on: June 14, 2018, 08:18:35 PM »
Chief resident switched my call with only 24 hours warning before from Thursday-Friday, which is really suboptimal, for their own convenience.

Not cool.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #28609 on: June 15, 2018, 09:34:37 PM »
My hideous sons deleted FFXV from my xbox. Wiped it all..

Asixe from me putting in some serious time on it that is now lost, reinstalling is going to take years because we live in the sticks and our internet blows.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Strongheart

« Reply #28610 on: June 16, 2018, 06:21:20 AM »

Asixe from me putting in some serious time on it that is now lost, reinstalling is going to take years because we live in the sticks and our internet blows.

Pretty sure you retain all that information via cloud memory so there's a good chance you didn't lose anything apart from the game itself. At the very least, they may have only deleted the game and not the saves.
Die gedanken sind frei.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #28611 on: June 16, 2018, 07:50:33 AM »

Pretty sure you retain all that information via cloud memory so there's a good chance you didn't lose anything apart from the game itself. At the very least, they may have only deleted the game and not the saves.

This was the case. I forget it auto backs up to the cloud. Hooray.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Bebop

« Reply #28612 on: June 16, 2018, 01:04:31 PM »
When my husband and I shared a PS4 some how his character save file on Skyrim saved over mine.  I still remind him of this unintentional betrayal like three years later.  We now have separate PS4s.

Karieith

« Reply #28613 on: June 16, 2018, 11:54:01 PM »
Game just seems so lifeless lately. Hard to play with so few people around to interact with.  :(

MeTekillot

« Reply #28614 on: June 17, 2018, 12:40:59 AM »
Where have you buried the body, MeTekillot?

TheWanderer

« Reply #28615 on: June 17, 2018, 02:00:19 AM »
Game just seems so lifeless lately. Hard to play with so few people around to interact with.  :(

:-X
Quote from: Little Carmine
We're in a fucking stagmire.

Karieith

« Reply #28616 on: June 18, 2018, 03:49:04 PM »
Aah I fucked up. Aaah shit.

Akaramu

« Reply #28617 on: June 19, 2018, 03:05:55 PM »
There's a Whatsapp message from the guy I like on my phone. I'm afraid to read it. Because I have to get some super duper critical work done over the next few hours, something that requires intense focus, and any kind of distraction will lead to sub par results.  :(

Miradus

« Reply #28618 on: June 19, 2018, 06:28:52 PM »
How come every time I get a new phone number, it was always previously used by someone with incredibly bad credit?

This bill collectors also will not accept that it's a new number and I haven't a freakin' clue who the other person was or where she's hiding.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28619 on: June 20, 2018, 03:13:18 AM »
Oh my god what is wrong with me.  I've only had like 6 hours of sleep since last Friday.  On travel for my job.  Worked Sunday.  Worked 12 hour days Monday and Tuesday.  Got another 12 hour day today.  Gotta be up in 3 hours but I'm wide awake.  I'm only like one hour time zone away from home.  I haven't been excessive with caffeine.  Hotel room is comfortable enough.  I just.  Can't.  Sleep.

MeTekillot

« Reply #28620 on: June 20, 2018, 07:03:07 AM »
How come every time I get a new phone number, it was always previously used by someone with incredibly bad credit?

This bill collectors also will not accept that it's a new number and I haven't a freakin' clue who the other person was or where she's hiding.
I'm fairly certain you're entitled to monetary compensation if they don't stop harassing you, look into it.
Where have you buried the body, MeTekillot?

Akaramu

« Reply #28621 on: June 20, 2018, 08:53:05 AM »
Oh my god what is wrong with me.  I've only had like 6 hours of sleep since last Friday.  On travel for my job.  Worked Sunday.  Worked 12 hour days Monday and Tuesday.  Got another 12 hour day today.  Gotta be up in 3 hours but I'm wide awake.  I'm only like one hour time zone away from home.  I haven't been excessive with caffeine.  Hotel room is comfortable enough.  I just.  Can't.  Sleep.

Try this relaxing Celtic music by Adrian von Ziegler. There's also 'Morning Dew', 'Evening Breeze' and 'Night Mist'. All of them are wonderful to wind down to.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:54:55 AM by Akaramu »